a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Is arabicpod101 dead?

enno
New in Town

Is arabicpod101 dead?

Postby enno » January 18th, 2009 8:38 am

Hi

Last week I signed for the premium account after listening to News #1 of this podcast. A lot is promised there at minute 3 of the cast. Arabicpod101 schedule should look similiar to japanesepod101 or koreanclass101. Would be great. Reality looks different.

I heard, you are looking for a new host. Thats sad. I really want to see arabicpod101 alive.

But as long as you can not provide any useful content in a comparable quantity and quality here, you should not sell "1 year premium" accounts. They are useless at the moment. I will wait a few days longer, but I will reverse the payment if there is no other solution.

Good luck
Enno

BTW: You should communicate your problems, solutions and any progress to all subscribers via email. Would save a lot of prestige.

doa_Leon
New in Town

Postby doa_Leon » January 19th, 2009 8:25 pm

I agree! I have a 12-month subscription.... and I am very disappointed!
It's not fair to leave the listeners alone in the dark.

Get 40% OFF
mjjzf
New in Town

Partially agree

Postby mjjzf » February 2nd, 2009 11:54 am

I somewhat agree - I had seen that there were no recent submissions (quite a long time ago, now, in fact) - but purchased a basic subscription in order to get access to the existing PDFs. Would be good to see new episodes.

ssomers
New in Town

Postby ssomers » February 11th, 2009 7:03 pm

From all accounts, Arabicpod101 is completely dormant. I heard from a tech op that they were planning to restart as soon as possible, but that was over two months ago and I've heard nothing since. What's somewhat annoying is that they're still exploiting the signup list to send out advertisements enticing us to subscribe -- did you receive your Valentine's Day offer?

If you have paid for a longer subscription (as I did), then I would definitely complain and ask for a refund. I wasn't awarded a complete reimbursement, but I did receive a token amount back in recognition of the fact that they kept processing my auto-payments, even though they knew very well that no lessons were forthcoming.

I am a tremendous admirer of Japanesepod101, and the company overall. However, in their rush to expand, I think they have overextended their capabilities -- and have thus left their listeners with paid, yet dead, airtime.

mjjzf
New in Town

Postby mjjzf » February 12th, 2009 7:29 am

I agree that it is a bit sad that this marketing machine keeps stamping out the offers. I realize that it is a rough business with huge competition, but sometimes the barrage of special offers is a bit extreme - I made a small article about JapanesePod101 and ArabicPod101 recently, and it got me thinking about how many people actually pay the full price.
On 27th January, I received - in response to my inquiry:
We're working very hard on getting some new material up at
Arabicpod101.com. I'm so sorry for the delay, we are confident that
the new material will be published very soon.
Our apologies for the delay.

It is quite possible that they have over-extended a bit. I wonder how much money there is to be made in the more exotic languages available - but I have personally found JapanesePod101 and ArabicPod101 the best method for me. The audio bit, anyway - I have yet to get more into the PDFs.

doa_Leon
New in Town

Postby doa_Leon » February 12th, 2009 1:34 pm

I changed my 12-month subscription to a 12-month subscription KoreanClass.
If Arabicpod101 ever comes back.... I'll be back ^^ *terminator* XP

mjjzf
New in Town

Postby mjjzf » February 12th, 2009 1:44 pm

Hmmm. Not my style. HungarianPod101 would be more my thing.

draykp
New in Town

Cancelation

Postby draykp » February 16th, 2009 2:51 am

Thank God!
I only sign to one month premium and cancel it. :(

doa_Leon
New in Town

Postby doa_Leon » February 17th, 2009 4:48 pm

It's just sad.
I think Arabic is still too exotic for some people to learn.
Or maybe it's just because of its strong religious influence.
I don't know.... -_-'

mjjzf
New in Town

Postby mjjzf » February 22nd, 2009 6:45 pm

Well, judging from this forum, it is not because people are not interested. There's just no content!

jacko
New in Town

I only hope somebody will take over

Postby jacko » March 7th, 2009 4:05 am

What's happening? Some internal problems? Lack of interest from people around the world for that language? I doubt the second hypothesis be true. Arabicpod.net seems very well alive. Why not Arabicpod101?

Anyhow, I only hope there will be a compensation for people who subscribed for one year, whether basic or premium. I think that as early subscribers, we deserve an additional full year once the course is back on its tracks, don't we? :?

ssomers
New in Town

Re: I only hope somebody will take over

Postby ssomers » March 11th, 2009 6:07 pm

I suspect the problem was mostly with the hosts who, while perhaps very nice, never seemed terribly well organised. The parent company of all of these *pod101 must, I think, subcontract and license the name/format to responsible individuals who will take over each branch of the brand name. The people hired on to run the Arabicpod never really seemed to get their act together in the way that the Italians and Russians did. If you scan the minimal output produced here, most of the materials were slow in coming, and frequently were of the 'Moroccan dialect' variety.

I think all it would take to revive this site would be finding the proper management. But how seriously this is being pursued? Not very, I suspect.

misterhub
New in Town

Postby misterhub » March 12th, 2009 6:49 am

I almost bought a subscription today. Then, I decided to explore some more. I am glad I did. These posts were informative. I am sad they've not brought this to life. I was looking forward to it. I hope they come back, perhaps with a more general Arabic approach for those of us not going to Morocco.

Narda
New in Town

Ditto to this one

Postby Narda » March 13th, 2009 1:26 am

misterhub wrote:I almost bought a subscription today. Then, I decided to explore some more. I am glad I did. These posts were informative. I am sad they've not brought this to life. I was looking forward to it. I hope they come back, perhaps with a more general Arabic approach for those of us not going to Morocco.

I was also about to pay for a subscription, but after reading this topic I think I'll wait until I see some activity on the Podcast... I wouldn't mind paying for the premium membership but the 7 day trial didn't really give me much of an idea as to how 'much' better it is than basic... for future reference can anyone give me an idea if its worth it to go for Premium.

I'm an Australian going to Egypt in October - so a crash course is what I need.

I'm also looking to download an audible book from audible.com for my iPod...

doa_Leon
New in Town

Postby doa_Leon » April 18th, 2009 10:16 pm

this page is totally dead!!!!!!!!

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Arabic”