a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Arabic Music Class!

Moonshade
New in Town

Arabic Music Class!

Postby Moonshade » April 26th, 2008 10:01 pm

Hi and congratulations on the new site!
I'm looking forward to seeing it grow, and I have some suggestions on what would be nice to listen to. :)

First of all, I'd just LOVE a lesson series that focuses on learning through music. Hearing and singing songs and learning what the lyrics mean is a great and fun way of learning.
My personal reason for wanting to learn Arabic is because of my passion for belly dancing! Since belly dancing and Arabic music is becoming more and more popular, I'm sure that alot of people would appreciate to learn more about the style of language that's used in song lyrics. And if you need something more for the lessons, you can always let it be a mix of Arabic pop, classical folkloric songs and nursery rhymes! I think that would give a great look into the culture too. :)

My second suggestion, or rather a wish, is to hear alot of Egyptian Arabic. (Your banner seems to suggest that it's coming. ;))

Lastly, it would be fun if lessons occasionally feature info on the historical past of the Arab world. Anything from pharaonic times to medieval times would be really interesting.
(Would work in either Culture Class or the language lessons.)

Good luck with the site!
/ Moonshade

Bouks
New in Town

Postby Bouks » May 6th, 2008 2:57 pm

I second that, Moonshade...I am a derbouka (doumbek) player, and the Middle Eastern percussion rhythms are fascinating to study!

Maybe for the music classes, you could post some song lyrics by Oum Kalthoum or Farid Al-Atrash. The drumming of people such as Hossam Ramzy is also a fantastic way to highlight music from the Arab world. And don't forget Hakim! The "Lion of Egypt" ;)
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Arabic Lesson Suggestions”