a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

"Regional" Arabic?

dang13
New in Town

"Regional" Arabic?

Postby dang13 » August 3rd, 2008 4:55 am

Kayfa halukum!

As a newbie, I enjoy this site as a supplement to my own lessons I am taking.

Could you please tell me, what is 'regional' Arabic as the term is used on this site? And while I'm on that, what country's Arabic is the standard one used for ArabicPod101? :roll:

shukran.

Daniel

tariqyasin
New in Town

Regional Arabic

Postby tariqyasin » August 8th, 2008 9:59 pm

Salaam Daniel.

Alhamdulillah ana bikhayr. wa anta?

Regional Arabic refers to the different dialectics or the different geographic locations where Arabic is spoken. The regional Arabic covered in the course is Moroccan Arabic.

The standard Arabic covered in this course is not from a particular region; speakers of Arabic will refer back to standard if they cannot communicate in each other's dialects. Standard Arabic doesn't vary much although you might notice a slight accent when spoken by natives...will give away where they are from.

I noticed you're from the Philippines...I found a really good Arabic school in Baguio, but it's part of a cultural center; not sure if you can attend. I found that the students spoke excellent Arabic. You might want to find a teacher there.

Also check out www.naturalarabic.com for lessons in standard Arabic, with audio.

Good luck.
Tariq

Get 40% OFF
mata
New in Town

Postby mata » September 20th, 2008 1:19 am

marhaban,
is there anywhere on the site to learn other regional arabic other than moraccan. i am interested in learning palestinian arabic or what i've heard of as shwam arabic. i realize that i need to start with standard arabic and that alone is overwhelming!! But i'd like to hear some examples of Arabic from palestine which is of most interest to me.

shukran
mata

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Arabic”